Thursday, July 10, 2008

Managing School Clutter


This magnetic board is part of a system that I have found really works for me. When Zoe comes home from school, we empty her backpack and put any papers that we might like to "save" on it. This is usually artwork. Worksheets and classwork get recycled immediately because that stuff has a way of multiplying. Then, at the end of each month I take everything off the memo board and take a picture of what we have collected for the month. The pictures, one for each month of school, then get put in her school album.

Each girl has a school album which contains first day of school pictures, special artwork (we are very picky about what goes in), the pictures of artwork for each month, report cards, special events, class pictures, and handwriting samples (just their name, written at the end of the school year, to compare progress from one year to the next). The magnetic board gives me a reprieve from having to make any decisions about what to keep on a daily basis. The decision making, I think, is the hardest part of decluttering. It's mentally exhausting.

This is Annika's magnetic board. I bought both magnetic boards, unfinished, at Roberts Craft Store. I took the sheet metal piece out while I worked on the boards, and then sanded and painted them with leftover paint from painting the girls' rooms. At some point, probably late summer or early fall, I'll post pictures of their rooms and how I decorated, because that's another one of my passions. I just need to do some deep cleaning before I bare their rooms to the world.

After painting the boards, I used spray adhesive to attach pretty squares of scrapbooking paper. I affixed stickers over the tops of some of those, and adhered large letters with spray adhesive to spell out their names. To seal it all in, I applied a couple clear coats of an acrylic water based top coat. Finally, I tied ribbon along the sides and then put the sheet metal piece back in.

The best part about these magnetic boards is that they will grow with the girls. Only what is displayed on them will change.

7 comments:

  1. Wow...those are too cute and what a fabulous way to control the clutter. I have kept a box each year with my daughters "stuff" but she is entering 4th grade next year and I had all the boxes out the other day and it is just too much. I may try something like you have and take pictures. Thanks for showing the boards~ great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog! I just love your blog and it really inspires me to dip into my creative juices a little more! I'm in a rut of day to day life- soccer mom style w/no style left for myself! Thanks for sharing all of your magnificant crafts! Your just amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I saw you on tip junkie. i had to come and leave a comment because we call my daughter Zoe "Zoe Bug" too. Funny huh? We had a lady bug first birthday and she's been Zoe Bug ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm digging back into your archives & I'm loving all the fun and CREATIVE ways you are organizing your house. I've been trying to figure out a way to display & then store my kid's stuff...my eldest is 8 and most of their stuff is crammed into brown paper boxes for me to "one day" go through. After seeing how "organizing junkie" does her stuff, I bought the binders & some page protectors, but I LOVE the metal "bulletin" boards...gonna have to hunt me down some of those! Thanks for sharing! Erin from www.stampwitherin.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your magnetic board idea! My refridgerator is stainless steel and isn't magnetic on the front for some reason...leaving nowhere to post school projects in our kitchen. I'm going to make a board like yours for that purpose. Thanks for the idea! I'm here via ABC123! Love your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what I am impressed with all your art works in here. Your ideas all so new to me and it amazes me so how you can turn scratch or waste into something very useful and very attractive. From now on I will try to do what you are doing. I think that is also a fun way to introduce to my kids.

    ReplyDelete