Friday, July 18, 2008

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!


This children's book, I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! is a hoot. It has everything kids love in it--lots of color, rhyming, mischevious fun and art supplies! It is written by Karen Beaumont and illustrated by one of my favorite children's book illustrators, David Catrow. Catrow draws caricatures of people that are just hilarious.
The story is about a child who has his art supplies confiscated by his mother because he painted pictures on the walls and everything else inside his house. His mom yells at him "YA AIN'T A-GONNA PAINT NO MORE!" at which point he launches into the sing songy rhyme "I ain't gonna paint no more, no more, I ain't gonna paint no more." Then he climbs up to the top of the closet where his mom put his art supplies, and he gets them back down.
Next, he proceeds to paint himself from head to toe. "So I take some red and I paint my . . . (next page) HEAD!" The book continues like this and kids cannot help themselves from finishing the rhymes. The ending is the best as he sings "But I'm such a nut, gonna paint my--WHAT?! Y'all don't faint . . . 'cause there ain't no paint! So I ain't gonna paint no more!"
It is a fun, fun book and you must go and get it now. Or at least check it out from your library.

No comments:

Post a Comment